Limoux - South Carcassonne
Thriving gite business
Farmhouse and three gites
Country location: vines, maquis, mountain
€630,000 * - ref 207
The area south of Carcassonne is dramatic, broken country of vine-covered hillsides, steep maquis-covered gorges and glimpses of the snow-capped Pyrenees as backdrop. The region is peppered with hilltop mediaeval villages, spa towns, castles and monasteries replete with history, intrigue and mystery. In short: the perfect place for an exhilarating lifestyle change!
The property for sale is located in the countryside - a few minutes from a tiny hilltop village - in its own 2 hectare estate. It comprises a traditional stone-built farmhouse, three independent gites, a large pool and a mix of maquis, woodland and gardens. It has been run as a successful gite business for the past 12 or so years and has no problem attracting guests from all over the world from April through to October.
The different buildings:
* the farmhouse is a south-facing two-storey building with a large cellar/garage space. Two double bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and vast living/dining room. There's a covered terrace with views over the countryside and the local castle. But it's the attic and cellar space which will interest potential buyers as there is room here for another three or four bedrooms. Heat pump ensures lowcost central-heating.
* Gite 1 is in a separate building over 70 metres from the main house. It boasts two double bedrooms, a recently-refurbished shower room, living area and fully-equipped kitchen. Underfloor heating. Private terrace with barbecue.
* Gite 2 is away above the other dwellings and the pool, on the edge of the untamed mountainside, with views over the valley. it is a generous one-bedroom gite with open-plan, split-level lounge and kitchen. Again, it has its own private terrace.
* Gite 3 is a studio which is really part of the main farmhouse but with a completely separate entrance. There's one double room, shower-room and - on the mezzanine floor - a neat little living/dining space with integrated kitchen.
A pool is obviously the centre of attraction in this region as temperatures reach the mid-thirties throughout the summer. And this pool provides all the space necessary for all-day lounging, swimming or just contemplating the 1000 year-old chateau on the hill.
For adventurous types there is a ruin on the land: not very accessible but a ruin nonetheless ... and it's marked on the Cadastre (land registry) so may be built upon.
Shopping is done in Limoux (7 minutes), airport is in Carcassonne (direct links to London, Dublin, Brussels, M'Chester ...), seaside at Gruissan (60 mins) and skiing at Mont d'Olmes (60 mins). And all around you have the Limoux vineyards: sparkling whites (Limoux AOC), rustic rosés and some excellent reds are now being made in the region.
Very much a 'lifestyle' property with its dinky little stone-built cottages and farmhouse, big pool and views of castles and mountains, this property has all the ingredients to please the most demanding buyers. The house and gites have all been renovated and finished to a high standard, there's a nice pool, plenty of space and a list of happy customers. That's for the buyers who don't want to do any DIY or work on the place.
But for ambitious buyers, the challenge would be to get the cellar/garage space sorted out, use the attic space, build on the ruin ... and double the income.
Whatever your inclination, this is a genuine business well worth viewing.
Please contact us for further information and pictures. The property can be visited by appointment only.
* 3% agency fees included ____________reference n°:207
more information - viewing - email@example.com or +33 950 685 946
SARL GITES A LA FRANCAISE RCS Toulouse n°: 531 694 925
CARTE IMMOBILIERE HTE GARONNE N° 2197
RESPONSABILITE CIVILE: Assurance : Allianz 41404407GITES A LA FRANCAISE ne manie pas de fonds. A ce titre, et en conformité de l’article 38 de la loi (n°2010-853) du 23 juillet 2010, elle est disposée de garantie financière
Carcassonne is the capital of the Aude département. It is made up of two towns: the 'old town' (or ville basse) which dates back to Roman times, and the 'Cité' or citadel, the Disneyesque castle which dominates the old town. This has become France's n° one tourist attraction after Mont St Michel. The old town is a beautiful maze of streets, and squares with plenty of sidewalk activity. The 'other' UNESCO World Heritage site is also found in Carcassonne - the 17th century Canal-du-Midi traverses the town from West to East.
The département of the Aude, in the Languedoc, prides itself as being the home of the Cathar, a famed religious sect of the 12 and 13th century, who dared defy Rome with their brand of humble, scaled-down Christianity. They failed in the end, but their story of defiance, struggle and eventual extinction is etched into the landscape, villages and castles of the region.
Throughout the 12th century the Cathar faithful were slowly pushed out of the low-lying plains towards the hostile, mountainous uplands where they found refuge in fortified villages or in castles and keeps perched on the most inaccessible crags of the Corbières or the Pyrenean foothills. In the end the French State allied with Rome, sent Simon de Montfort to root out and kill the last 'heretics' in what was known as the 'Albigensian Crusade'.
In the western part of Languedoc the most notable feature is the Lac de St Ferréol, specially conceived by Riquet when building the Canal du Midi, and designed to supply water to the canal throughout the summer period. This it does by means of a mini-canal - 'le rigole' which carries water from the resevoir to the highest point of the canal on the watershed (between Atlantic and Mediterranean basins) near Avignonnet-Lauragais.
The southern part of the département meets the Pyrenees and boasts a wealth of whitewater rivers, trekking trails and ski resorts.
- Stone-built farmhouse
- central heating
- 3 independent gites
- 2 hectares of gardens and maquis
- big pool
- rural location near mediaeval village
- 7 minutes town all amenities
- 35 minutes airport.
other properties in the region:
© Gîtes à la Française S.A.R.L. 2018